Monday, November 17, 2014

Taking it as it comes, letting go of what you don't need, and making the most out of your situation.


Things tend to happen in life which can either send you spiralling into a twisted whirlwind of confusion, angst and anger OR you can swing it around for yourself, send that tornado swirling in a different direction, and use what gets hurled at you to propel you forward in a favourable direction. For a lot of people, including myself, this concept sometimes seems so annoying because you know it's true but you just can't fathom how you can turn it around in a certain situation or during a certain time of your life. The thought of changing things so that they work in your favour even when it seems like everything is crumbling around you is just frustrating and impossible at times and even though you may master it in one instance, come the next time and you just feel a hundred times more confused, anxious and angry and simply want to throttle anyone and everyone who has the above mindset of ‘making it work’.

I’ve met a number of really different and unique individuals in my life. Those who see the world through a lens of negativity and unconstructiveness; those who simply cannot wait to wake up in the morning to seize that new moment and make it their own, and then those people who are a combination of the two – no wait – not quite a combination, but simply ‘neutral in life’. It’s so interesting to me to witness these individuals who are one or the other. I’m not coming from a place of judgement at all, merely observation. I personally don’t understand how someone can be happy all the time, neither can I understand and relate to an individual who literally cannot seem to find the positive in absolutely anything, ever. What I have learnt however, is that it is ok to let go of anyone who no longer fulfils you on your journey, whether temporarily or on a more permanent basis.

On this incredible ride I have been on the past year, I have had to acknowledge and deal with circumstances which have not been simple and effortless but rather challenging and quite taxing, a lot of which have involved taking a good hard look at the people in my life. I am the type of person who enjoys being friendly to everyone, sometimes giving a lot more of myself to the relationship than what I get back in return. At one stage, not so long ago, I felt like I had close on 50 ‘good’, close friends whom I would invite to anywhere I was organising something fun. Did they all pitch or even bother to rsvp? Of course not. Did they invite me to wherever they were going – not often no. Did they call me on my birthday or to even just check in and chat out of the blue? Well now the list was seriously starting to diminish. So why was I always giving of myself to these people and constantly seeking their attention? Well, that’s something I am still trying to figure out.

It is however such an eye-opening experience realising that you are ok on your own. Learning to enjoy being by yourself and loving yourself isn’t straight-forward but it’s only when you know who you truly are and what you honestly want from life, that you begin to see how having the right people in your life can truly benefit you. It was tricky for me to simply let the others go, one because I thought they were my friends, but two because I didn’t want to hurt them. Ridiculous right? Friendship is not a numbers game. It’s not a competition to see who has more or who has the most people rock up at a birthday. If you only ever have one true, good, honest friend in your life but who knows you and loves you and develops you, then you are blessed. And I am definitely blessed with the friendships I have today, even though I have relocated to a different country and will probably only see those people three times a year.

It is this which I took with me when I left.  Knowing that I have that support and unconditional and unwavering love from my friends and family was what drove me through the process. Starting out in a new country will also have its challenges – you have to start all over again with new friendships and building new relationships. But luckily this time around, I know who I am and I know what I want from my life. So yes I may meet people along the way whom I will be friendly with, but if there isn’t that bond, and that reciprocation then why give to the relationship more than you should right? Not everyone gets the chance to start life over, to sail with the wind in a completely different direction. Why ruin that chance by making the same choices which led you to a bit of a dead-end before.

There is so much opportunity in Zimbabwe which not a lot of people realise. I’m not talking work-wise or money-wise (even though that is true as well); I am talking about the type of lifestyle you have available to you to experience and the beautiful friendships you have the potential to make. When people get together at family gatherings, dinners, braais or whatever it may be, the conversation isn’t solely about what so-en-so saw so-en-so doing and the gossip from the weekend. It’s about reminiscing on over twenty years of friendship, laughing with each other because you know each other so well and joking about the small things in life. Here, solid friendships aren’t built in nightclubs and social events, work or the gym. They are built because you experience LIFE together and tackle things as a unit. I think Zim going through its rough patches has actually done wonders for families and friends because those who are still here, really want to be here and want to see it work out. They want to start their own families here because they know the type of childhood there is to have and to experience. I was at my boyfriend’s folks place this weekend and was playing with his nephew in the garden. What was so awesome was to hear how this little boy’s dad grew up in the same house, climbed the same tree and nearly drowned in the same pool! How amazing that one house can hold so many memories that generation after generation get to relive some of the experiences and make their own similar memories which will be treasured forever?

Zim truly has stolen my heart. No, it has not been easy adjusting but it’s been a lot easier than I had expected and completely manageable. Small things take a lot of getting used to. For one – the heat. What struck me the most was walking into a grocery store on a scorcher day and seeking out that beautiful cold bottle of water to drink to try and quench your unquenchable thirst. You make your way to the fridges, open the doors and as you grab a bottle, this overwhelming sense of disappointment takes over as you realise how warm the bottles are. In true Denise style, I move all the front bottles to the side and hunt for one at the back, praying it will be cold but no such luck. This place is so hot that even the fridges can’t stay cold! But alas, I love it. Waking up to the sun coming up early and feeling that delicious heat on your skin is unique even for someone who used to live in Durban. Another thing which really does sometimes get to you are the power cuts. Just when you have prepared that beautiful cake to be baked or dinner to be cooked, off goes the power. The most common sound in Zim is that of a generator and to be honest it has become quite soothing! Even with all the power cuts, you make the best out of a somewhat tricky situation. Sitting around a table lit with candles, actually talking to each other instead of watching a movie or that series you’re both addicted to, makes you realise whether or not you are with the right person. My boyfriend and I talk for hours in the dark, laugh and mare each other – bottom line is, we make the most of the time we have together.

I still have so much to experience here and that for me is one of the best things in my life right now. Whether it be driving past the guys playing checkers on a painted tree stump, the man selling airtime on the street corner who dances and sings as you drive by, the incredible lack of road etiquette (you thought SA was bad with the taxis,) the potholes, the boreholes, the generators and invertors, Zim has something to enjoy or to marvel at for everyone. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea – not everyone likes tea anyway! Give it a chance – you just might like it J

In love and light,

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment